Communications Internship – Spring 2017
We are …
The Walt Disney World Communications team works within Public Affairs, which also includes Corporate Citizenship, Government Relations and Executive Communications. Along with their relationship with these departments, the team also works with other operations and departments within the company to achieve its main goal of reputation and brand management for the Walt Disney World Resort.
By applying to this internship position, you may be considered for a position that could be located in any one of the following areas:
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Disney Housing Operations
Magic Kingdom Park
Sports & Golf
Make an impact by….
- Bringing a motivated, positive attitude and a passion for communication.
- Supporting communication strategies to inspire Guests and Cast Members through engaging, timely and accurate information.
- Researching and composing articles for Walt Disney World’s e-newsletter, MouseMail, the Public Affairs website (www.aboutwaltdisneyworld.com), our internal Cast publication, Eyes & Ears and The Walt Disney Company intranet, The Hub.
- Special Event support, including hosting media at Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts.
- Supporting opportunities to highlight key company initiatives, through research projects, such as media analysis, issue- related research, media alerts and other media materials.
- Finding opportunities for visual storytelling through photojournalism and videography, managing and producing photo/video shoots.
- Developing visual communication through the creation of fliers, posters, digital signage and presentations.
You bring …
- Proficiency with Associated Press writing style including writing, copy-editing and proofreading
- Literacy in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated proficiency with Apple platforms.
- Experience in video production, including concept development, filming and editing.
- Strong writing and research skills with an understanding of how traditional and social media works.
- Previous reporting/writing experience with a student or professional publication in print, television or online media
- Experience with photography for web and print publications.
- Experience interpreting data and information for media tracking purposes.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Keynote, iMovie and After Effects.
- Currently enrolled as a junior or higher pursuing (or recently graduated with) a degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communications, or a related major
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
**An electronic online portfolio is required as part of this application process. This portfolio must be included as a URL link listed on your resume, any other portfolio submissions will not be considered.**
Your professional portfolio should showcase the following types of work:
- Writing: Professional writing, storytelling and copy-editing.
- Visual Communication: Photojournalism, videography and graphic design.
- Media materials: Media alerts, press releases and video news releases.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from an accredited college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are January 2017 through June 2017. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description:
Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview.
About The Walt Disney Company
The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.